Links and Resource List
Pilgrim || Peace
Walkers || Peace || Peace Makers
Simple Living ||| Upcoming Events || The Rest
Peace Pilgrim Links
of Peace Pilgrim, the source for "Steps",
books, audio and video tapes, and the Friends of Peace Pilgrim Newsletter.
John and Ann Rush (recently
retired) dedicated their lives to making information on Peace's life and message
available to all who ask.
"Peace Pilgrim" search: How can I compete with a search engine
that returns thousands of listings.
College Peace Library, list of the contents of the Peace Pilgrim materials
held in the peace collection. Includes a brief biographical sketch.
Peace Abbey Plaques: In 1993 Peace Pilgrim was posthumously awarded the
Courage of Conscience Award. A plaque was also placed at the abbey in her
memory. Her name will be found in the women's listings. The Peace Abbey main
Books: Author Maggie Davis tells the story of the inspiration for her
book "Roots of Peace
Seeds of Hope" and the role Peace Pilgrim played.
Jody Kessler: An Ithaca, NY based singer/songwriter who has written a
song based on Peace Pilgrim (Listen in Real
Audio). Her heartfelt music addresses issues related to connection with
Spirit, mindful living, compassion, recovery, personal growth and peace. Listen
to Real Audio clips online.
German site featuring "Steps to Inner Peace" in both English
- "Steps Toward Inner
Peace" in Japanese Uchinaru
Heiwa e no Ayumi with
some very nice graphics.
Peace Center has created a Peacemakers Exhibit that features Peace Pilgrim
as one of 11 honored peace makers.
Vegetarian tribute to Peace pilgrim. Includes the text of "Steps
Toward Inner Peace".
Peace Pilgrim Page, more "Steps" text and a host of other non
Peace Pilgrim pages to browse.
Point; A quote from Peace Pilgrim among many others.
Age Peace Foundation's tribute to Peace Pilgrim.
Pilgrim Quotes can be found on this page at cybernation.com.
- Flaming Rainbow Books offers some reflections about Peace Pilgrim on their website.
Tree Books; Source for trade publication of the Peace Pilgrim
book founded by one of its compilers. Be sure to visit The Monastery
in the Home and the Peace Pilgrim quote.
On the Road - More
Peace Walkers and Pilgrims (top)
walking - Jean
Béliveau - Peace for the Children of the World: On August 18 th
, 2000, at 9:00 am, Jean Béliveau left Montreal, Canada. His goal is
to walk around the planet to promote "Peace and non-violence to the profit
of the children of the world". Visit the updates
page. Currently in the Middle East. YouTube clip. Clip 2.
- Currently walking - Walk for Climate Change Awareness - Greta Browne - We are walking to call attention to global warming, and hopefully to inspire people along the way to do whatever they can to fight this danger. We are walking because we want to make this world safer and more viable for our grandchildren. Global warming is one of the greatest threats to life on this planet, with the potential to cause immense suffering to the generations that follow ours: to our children and especially our grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Greta's blog.
- Featured - One Million Acts of Kindness - Traveling the country in a big bus spreading a message of kindness and peace. One Million Acts Of Kindness is a goal. A goal for each person to individually perform One Million Acts Of Kindness in their life. Can you imagine a greater goal for one’s life? It is a constant mind-set of kindness every day of your life for the next fifty-five years. Doing for others and kindness in your heart for everyone. It is my wish that you will dedicate your life to a charity… finding the passion in your heart for something or someone in need.
- Featured - Follow Your Bliss - Garth Poorman's 2009/2010 walk from upstate NY to New Orleans.
the Dream, information and pictures about my friend Derek Youngs,
a Canadian walking world-wide peace journeys since 1986. A wonderful man with
a GREAT dream. Derek recently completed a walk in Israel and will be
walking in Japan in 2005.
Sites: Martin Gray's 16 year odyssey to the sacred places of the world.
- Featured - "Peace
Walker" a new film by Tara Golden. Original filming on this project was finished
in Sept. 2006 in England and involved a 1000 mile walk for
peace from John O'Groats, in the northeast of Scotland to Land's End, the
in the southwest of England. Peace Pilgrim was one source of inspiration
for this work. View a clip on YouTube.
- Featured - "Earth Pilgrims" - a film by Echan Deravy. Echan says, "I decided to make a documentary as a pilgrim, aware of our current time in this global journey. Along the way I met individuals who are well qualified to comment on what it means to be a true pilgrim in spirit. The documentary is being filmed in 2008 and will be ready for release in early 2009. These stories will perhaps open our hearts to a simple truth and guide us on our road ahead. It is a road we all must share as we are the ones we have been waiting for. We are the Earth Pilgrims."
Blessitt: Christian walker who carries a cross. He has walked over 38,000
Wilson - A recent contributer to our Friends of Peace Pilgrim newsletter,
Brandon has walked two famous European pilgrimage routes - The Camino de Santiago
in Spain and the Via Francigena, Canterbury to Rome. He has also walked across Tibet and completed a walk from Europe to Israel in 2007.
- Camino de Santiago - Informational website about this famous pilgrimage route that crosses northern Spain.
- Danny Garcia - Global Walk Foundation - Since 1996, Danny Garcia has been walking around the world to raise awareness of children’s rights and world peace. Through his walks, Danny Garcia aims to facilitate, promote, and support the needs of children and their families, which includes engaging in humanitarian aid to the victims of disease, famine, poverty, natural disasters, and war.
Walker: Paul Coleman walking and planting trees for peace and
global environmental protection. Follow his current pilgrimage from England
to China begun on November 2, 2000. Journal
updates can be found on the website.
for the Children - Melissa Luce hiked the AT in Peace Pilgrim's 50th
anniversary year in support of the children who make a living scrounging off
garbage dumps in Guatemala.
Flame Pilgrimage; January 15 to May 12, 2002 - A flame kindled from the
1945 A-bomb fires in Hiroshima is being carried on a US pilgrimage this spring.
Visit the site for dates, locations, history, and details.
- March for Peace - 2007, Michael Israel, 18, of Jackson, Calif., and Ashley Casale, 19, of Connecticut, began the approximately 3,000-mile "March for Peace" journey May 21 in San Francisco. The trip concluded on Sept. 11 in Washington, D.C. - Read and article by Olga Bonfiglio.
Desert Experience: The mission of Nevada Desert Experience (NDE) is to
stop nuclear weapons testing through a campaign of
prayer, education, dialogue, and nonviolent direct action. Each spring they
hold a 60 mile walk from Las Vegas to the Nevada test site.
Walk 2002 - Artist, poet, and peace activist Kim Leverton is walking from
Southern Louisiana to Washington, DC from April till June in the spirit of
Peace Pilgrim. Visit her site if you are near the route perhaps you can arrange
a speaking engagement or offer support.
- Peace Scooter - Riding 20,000 miles around America creating a continental Peace Sign of a route, Alix Brian is riding a motor scooter for Peace. On the road again in May 2008, keep an eye out for Alix on her journey for peace.
- Pilgrim for Peace - In the summer of 2007 a young woman walked 1000 miles for peace in the style of Peace Pilgrim. Along the way she visited the Peace Abbey in Sherborne, MA and continued her journey in one of Peace's original tunics.
Progress: A web site devoted to the art and practice of pilgrimage.
Walker - Arthur Burton: A Friend of Peace Pilgrim - walked the north/south
length of India in 2001.
Pilgrims Step Forth: A site with information about peace walkers by Kevin
Honoring the millions of unknown civilians killed in war. From July
4 to Aug. 6 1999. Peace Pilgrim's shoes, after returning from The Interfaith
Pilgrimage of the Middle Passage (below) accompanied the Stonewalkers from
Massachusetts to Washington, DC. 2000 - Walked in Ireland. 2001 - Walked in
England. Organized by the Peace_Abbey
in Sherborn, Mass.
2004 - From July 26 through September 2, members of September
11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows in conjunction the the Peace
Abby of Sherbourn, MA will walk from Boston to New York, pulling a 1400-pound
granite memorial honoring the "Unknown Civilians Killed in War."
Japan - Beginning on July 2, 2005 in Nagasaki and ending
in Hiroshima on August 4, Stonewalk Japan will continue the journey to raise
awareness of the incredible cost in civilian lives that war has visited on
the planet in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Quenel -This French traveller began running alone for World Peace and
environment protection ! He bagan his journey in 2000 and expects to spend
a total of 7-10 years running in all parts of the world. Video on Daily motion.
For Burma 2002 - On Saturday, June 1, 2002 a small group will depart Milwuakee
enroute to Washington, DC in support of freedom and peace for the Burmese
- Walking with Faith - Debbie Schachner - Site about her 2007 cross-country walk to benefit students in a remote rural village in Kenya.
founded by Bo and Sita Lozoff, this non-profit organization emphsizes a way
of life based upon simple living, a dedication to service, and a commitment
to personal spiritual
Peace Abbey in Massachusetts - honoring peace heroes world wide.
Organizers of STONEWALK.
World Peace Prayer Society: Join in the Universal Prayer, "
May Peace Prevail on Earth ".
Plant a Peace Pole, attend a World Peace Festival.
- Featured - One Million Acts of Kindness - Traveling the country in a big bus spreading a message of kindness and peace.
- 4PEACE4PEACE: Offered by Andy Washnik and dedicated to PEACE and spreading PEACE to anyone who cares to listen.
Friends Service Committee: 1947 Nobel Peace Prize winner and preeminent
for Peace: Musician John Mayer promoting peace and honoring the roots
of the blues.
- Connecticut Department of Peace Campaign - Working locally for a national cabinet level department of peace - Peace Pilgrim carried a DoP petition on her first pilgrimage in 1953.
of Universal Peace: Join people from around the world in celebrations
of peace through dance. Information about gatherings in your vicinity.
International Peace Museum: A space to make peace. Dedicated to changing
our culture of violence to a culture of peace. Scroll down this
page for an unusual image of Peace Pilgrim.
Charter: An important document! A MUST
READ! The mission of the charter is to establish a sound ethical
foundation for the emerging global society and to help build a sustainable
world based on respect for nature, universal human rights, economic justice,
and a culture of peace.
Day: Become a trustee for our planet. Official International Earth
- Epworth United Methodist Church: Helping bring peace to Oklahoma City. Epworth also hosts our office in that city.
Foundation USA: Promoting non-violence, social justice and community service
in the Gandhi-King tradition.
Meditations: Information and dates for world wide peace events.
Be sure to sign up for the mailing list..
Peace Directory: Google does such a great job organizing the web.
Visit this link to browse some great peace sites.
Hunger Site: Help alleviate world hunger with the click of a mouse.
Offering an array of online tools and information promoting inner peace.
Peace Bureau: Noble Peace Prize winning organization based in Geneva,
Year for the Culture of Peace: Join people from all around the globe who
are working to create a peaceful world.
Peace Institute: Contributing to the process of peace-building through
programs of education, research and outreach
directed to the development of mutual understanding and co-operation between
the people of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland..
a Candle for Peace: Interactive animated page where you can light a virtual
candle for world peace.
Mangrove Seed: A Florida non-profit working toward the cultivation of
Peace Team: MPT offers nonviolence training workshops and provides opportunities
to join peace teams. We seek a just world grounded in nonviolence and respect
for the sacred interconnectedness of all life.
Peace Force: The mission of the Nonviolent Peaceforce is to build a trained,
international civilian peaceforce committed to third-party nonviolent intervention.
In partnership with local groups, unarmed Nonviolent Peaceforce Field Team
members apply proven strategies to protect human rights, deter violence, and
help create space for local peacemakers to carry out their work.
Nuclear Age Peace Foundation: Presenting a vision of a world at peace,
free of the threat of war and free of weapons of mass destruction.
Day in Peace: Jan. 1, 2000: peace for the world at the start of the New
Percent Peace Army: Thoughts and quotes about creating a more peaceful
Website dedicated to Peace Making and Conflict resolution.
peaceCenter : Great site for and about peacemaking. Check out the
Peace Alliance Foundation: Revealing and fostering a culture of peace.
Peace Center of Nevada County: A grassroots peacemakers group located
in Nevada City, CA not far from the Peace Pilgrim Center.
- Peace Cereal: Hey, why
not. An organic cereal promoting peace on every box.
- The Peace
Pagoda in Leverett, MA: Starting point for The Interfaith Pilgrimage of
the Middle Passage which began on May 30, 1998 and concluded in Capetown,
South Africa on May 31, 1999. A pair of Peace Pilgrims shoes on loan from
The Peace Abbey were
carried by one of the walkers.
X Peace: Empowers women
as the most effective means to enrich lives locally and promote peace globally.
Earth: Ideas and resources to help you create a more peaceful life and
Join thousands of others in making a personl pledge for peace.
- Plum Village: Home of Internationally renown peacemaker and Zen Buddhist master, Thich Nhat Hanh.
Enduring Peace: Founded by Yale Professor Jerome Davis in 1952, Promoting
Enduring Peace--"PEP"--conducts peace education activities to promote
sustainable world peace. Since its founding PEP has distributed over 10 million
free peace education articles to peace educators around the world.
and the Thousand Paper Cranes: If you haven't heard this story, you need
to visit this site. If you've heard this story, you'll want to visit this
a Light for Peace: Peace Pilgrim webmaster Bruce Nichols' personal peace
project. Get your free "Shine a Light for Peace" bumper sticker
- Solstice Sing for Peace: Join the fun - sing for peace on June 21. Vocal music celebrating peace will circle the globe in the 24 hour period starting at the moment the solstice begins at 5:48am GMT on 21 June 2009. Together we will shift the global focus to peace for 24 hours on the longest day of the year.
War causes wounds and suffering that last beyond the
battlefield. Swords to Plowshares is a community-based, non-profit
organization dedicated to restoring dignity, hope and self-sufficiency to
veterans in need.
Crane Peace Network: More origami cranes for peace from an international
network connecting people and activities which promote peace, non-violence
on the Wind: A site about a couple traveling the globe asking: What are
we doing? What is your part in it? What is your message?
How can we create world peace?
International League for Peace and Freedom: During part of the 15
years before the pilgrimage, Peace Pilgrim was the Washington Lobbyist for
this Peace Organization.
Peace Day: Join Chief Arvol Looking Horse of the Lakota in celebrating
on June 21.
Peace Flame: More than ten million people have taken candles lit from
the World Peace Flame as a reminder that
peace begins with each one of us.
Prayers: Inspiring words of peace and spirit from various world religions.
Puja: presents live net-casts of Peace events.
Information about this Nobel Peace Laureate from the Government
of Tibet in Exile.
of Light: Peace troubadour James Twyman sings a message of Peace around
Abrams: leading authority on the history of the Nobel Peace Prize, Quaker,
worker for peace.
Carter: 2002 Nobel Peace Laureate, former president Carter and his wife
Rosalynn have worked diligently for peace in the two decades since he left
Pilgrim believed in living simply by taking life down to need level. You can
find practical information on simple living in this section:
Simple Living Links (top)
Simple Living Network:
Perhaps the best net resource for those looking to move toward a truly simpler
style of living. Be sure to also visit their Simple
New Road Map Foundation: Groundbreakers in the simple living movement.
Publishers of the classic "Your Money or Your Life". This group
has offered occasional financial support to Friends of Peace Pilgrim..
- Reevis Mountain School: Roosevelt, AZ - Providing a place of inspiration, a positive learning environment, and a rustic, self-reliant lifestyle that fosters: personal responsibility for one's own health and well being, natural healing, spiritual awareness (not religious), and a reverence for nature.
Meditations: Very Comprehensive. Information and dates for world wide
peace events. Be sure to sign up for the mailing list.
|| Top ||
created 10/95 revised